Well it's all over and the University of Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs won the championship and made history in the process. The Bulldogs became the first team that went through the play in game and went on to win the tournament. I can't say enough about what the Bulldogs did. They upset CC in a sweep then went on to upset Minnesota, UND, and finally Denver. Oh and they did it convincingly. I'm still somewhat in shock at this unreal playoff run the Dogs pulled off. Stalock gave up all of 3 goals in 5 playoff games and only 1 in 3 final five games. His performance in net has to be considered one of the best ever. As amazing as Stalock was I have to give credit to the Bulldogs defense and many of their forwards who play ferocious two way games. The Bulldogs looked amazingly dissaplined on both sides of the rink, and guess what being techniquely sound pays off. Minnesota, UND, and Denver had no answer for the Dogs. The Bulldogs should be getting a 2 seed in the National tournament and if the Gophers don't make the tourney which it looks like is a very real possibility then I would imagine the committee would put the Dogs into the Minneapolis regional and that could be huge for the hottest team in all of college hockey.
I can't say that I think the Bulldogs are going to win the NCAA tourney this season but if they can carry this improbable run and their current inspired hockey into next weekends tourney then they have a chance to make some serious nose, and potentially get to the semi-finals which would be incredible since they were 7th in the WCHA at the end of the regular season.
My Top Five Bulldog Stars (Based on the Final FIve)
5. Josh Meyers - He was their best defender. Finished a plus 3 with 2 Assists. Logged a lot of ice time and simply got the job done.
4. Mike Connolly - 1 goal and 3 Assists. He was good offensively each game and was second to only Sharp in points.
3. Jack Connolly - Only scored one goal but it was in the championship. I thought he played the most inspired hockey out of anyone on the team. He was amazing in the face off circle and it seemed like he was making every play perfectly. He played great two way hockey each game.
2. MacGregor Sharp - 5 goals and an assist in the final five, and a hat trick in the championship game.
1. Alex Stalock - Held the Gophers to one goal then shutout UND and Denver. Unreal.